Craigmount Parent Council Fundraising
In addition to the regular meetings attended by the Parent Council members we also undertake to raise funds by various means; all of which benefit the students throughout the school.
Much of the fundraising is carried out by the fundraising subgroup, but all members come together, where possible, to assist in the larger ventures.
Over the last few years we have raised many thousands of pounds – all of which has gone back to provide assistance to the school or after school clubs. We do not provide the necessities for the Departments but the extras- the icing on the cake – which can allow trips, visits from external bodies or just make learning more interesting or exciting.
Every Department/Club is able to apply each term for a pay-out. The Parent Council considers all applications and makes it decision based on availability of cash in addition to the suitability of the request and how beneficial the project/goods will be to students.
Throughout the year we are present at every Parents Consultation Evening where we meet parents/carers as they arrive and sell quiz sheets at £1 each. This has become more popular over the time it has been running with many coming ready with coin in hand to see what puzzle we have on offer. Each quiz usually covers 2-3 evenings and prizes are available for the 2 best returned entries.
We also sell a quiz and run a small raffle at the information evening in June for the parents/carers of P7 students about to join Craigmount, in addition to offering them a welcoming drink.
We have run a very successful raffle at the Spring Fling events.
Our largest fundraising event is the ever popular Corstorphine Fair which is held in St Margaret’s Park on the first Saturday in June every 2 years (even years eg 2014). We take a stall at the fair and hold a tombola offering wide and varied prizes kindly donated by local businesses and attractions. We also sell a selection of home baking and tablet. Any help for this large event is very welcome – either a donation for our tombola, some baking or the offer of an hour or two of help on the stall. We create a separate page with full details before each Fair.
The autumn of 2014 sees us launch our latest initiative – The 200 Club. This allows funds to be raised for the school but also for 40% of the income to be returned to the members as prize money. You have to be in it to win it! Please see the link at the bottom of this page.
We are always looking for new ideas for our fundraising and have some items in the pipeline but further suggestions are gratefully received.
Money raised over recent years has gone to many clubs and departments including:
- Guitars and Orchestral Cymbals for Music Department
- New kit for Basketball, Football and Girl’s Rugby teams
- Assistance with travel/tournament costs for Curling, Debating and Gymnastic clubs
- New video camera for the Drama Department
- Funding of raised bed for ECO group
- Scrabble sets for use in both English Department and Scrabble Club
- Funding of RMPS Grass Roots Theatre Group – productions for depts. and year groups.
- Assistance to numerous Departments to allow vulnerable students to attend events.
- Funding of prizes for Craigmount Challenge and City Matters groups; Maths Challenge and S1 Internet Safety Competition.
- Funding for products for Chemistry cosmetics project
- Purchase of new equipment for Duke of Edinburgh scheme
- Funding visit of Medical Herbalist for Science Department
- Funding to allow set up of new clubs e.g. Anime and knitting
- Purchase of Asterix and the Picts in French and Scots for French Department
- Funding of glazes for senior Art students and the Art Club
- Provision of transport for S3 students to attend Christmas Cyber Security Lectures
- Assistance with text charges advertising ‘Talk about Teens’ by Community Department
- Donation towards Evening of Celebration costs
- Prizes directly to students for art work for Parent Council e.g. our logo
Craigmount Heritage Committee
The Craigmount Heritage Committee would like to formally thank the Parent Council for the donation of £500. It will be used to begin the process of setting up and publicising a Craigmount Archive Website. In due course we hope the site will provide a valuable resource for students, parents and staff both former and current. Your generousity is very much appreciated considering this is a large sum from your limited funds.