This is the constitution for Craigmount High School Parent Council.
1. The objectives of the Parent Council are:
• to work in partnership with the school to create a welcoming school, which is inclusive for all parents.
• to promote partnership between the school, its students, its parents and the wider community.
• to develop and engage in activities which support the education and welfare of the students.
• to identify and represent the views of parents on the education provided by the school and other matters affecting the education and welfare of the students.
• to ensure that all parents are informed appropriately.
2. The parent membership of the Council will be a minimum of 7 parents of children attending the school. The maximum will be 15 parents. It is desirable but not necessary that parents should represent students from all 6 years of the school, and also from all 6 associated primaries.
3. Every parent member of the Council will be appointed for a period of two years, with the option of leaving after one year. After serving for two years they may put themselves forward for re-selection.
4. Any parent of a child at the school can volunteer to be a member of the Parent Council. If spaces are available, priority will be given to ensuring year and associated primary representation (see 2.). If the membership has reached the maximum number allowed, volunteers can become members of any sub-group set up by the Council, and may join the Council at the first opportunity thereafter.
5. The number of parent members on the Parent Council must be greater than the number of all other members, excluding co-opted members.
6. Any sub-groups formed by the Council will report regularly to the Council, will deliver any monies raised to the Council, and may be dissolved and re-formed as and when the Council requires. Forum members may be asked to join the sub-groups at any time.
7. Up to 3 members of staff and up to 3 students will be invited to become members of the Council. These members will be chosen so as to ensure as wide a representation of Craigmount School as possible.
8. The Parent Council may co-opt up to 3 members from the community. These members will be chosen so as to ensure as relevant a representation as possible.
9. Co-opted members will be invited to serve for a period of one year, after which time the Parent Council will review and consider. Staff and student members will be appointed for a period of 2 years, with the option of leaving after 1 year.
10. The Headteacher of Craigmount High School or his/her representative will attend every meeting.
11. All local elected representatives will be invited to attend Council meetings.
12. The Council will appoint the following office bearers from the Parent members – Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer. These will be agreed by the Parent Council members immediately following its formation. A Clerk will be appointed if monies are made available. Office bearers will be re-selected by the Parent Council on an annual basis.
13. The Parent Council is accountable to the Parent Forum for Craigmount High School and will communicate regularly with the Forum on its activities.
14. An Annual Meeting will be held in May of each year. A notice of the meeting including date, time, and place will be sent to all members of the Parent Forum at least 2 weeks in advance. The meeting will include:
• a report on the work of the Parent Council and its sub-groups
• selection of the new Parent Council
• discussion of issues that members of the Parent Forum may wish to raise
• approval of the accounts and appointment of the auditor.
15. The Parent Council will aim to meet every 6 to 8 weeks.
16. Should a vote be necessary to make a decision, each parent, staff and student member at the meeting will have one vote, with the Chair having a casting vote in the event of a tie.
17. Any two members of the Parent Council can request that an additional meeting be held, and all members of the Parent Council will be given at least one week’s notice of date, time and place of the meeting.
18. If a Parent Council member acts in a way that is considered by other members to undermine the objectives of the Parent Council, their membership of the Parent Council shall be terminated if the majority of parent members agree. Termination of membership would be confirmed in writing to the member.
19. Copies of the minutes of all meetings will be available to the Parent Forum at Craigmount High School and to all staff at the school. Copies will be available from the Clerk to the Parent Council, from the school office and from the school website.
20. Meetings of the Parent Council shall be open to the public, unless the Parent Council is discussing an issue which it considers should be dealt with on a confidential basis. In such circumstances, only members of the Parent Council and the Headteacher, or his/her representative, can attend. There may also be certain circumstances when it will be deemed inadvisable for the student members to attend.
21. The Treasurer will open a bank or building society account in the name of the Parent Council for all Parent Council funds. Withdrawals will require the signature of the Treasurer and one other Parent Council member.
22. The Treasurer will keep an accurate record of all income and expenditure, and will provide a summary of this for each Parent Council meeting and a full account for the Annual Meeting. The Parent Council accounts will be checked by two persons from the Forum who are not members of the Council, and who were appointed at the previous Annual Meeting.
23. The Parent Council shall be responsible for ensuring that all monies are used in accordance with the objectives of the Parent Council.
24. The Parent Council may change its constitution after obtaining consent from members of the Parent Forum. Members of the Parent Forum will be sent a copy of any proposed amendment and given reasonable time to respond to the proposal.
25. Should the Parent Council cease to exist, any remaining funds will be passed to the education authority to be used for the benefit of Craigmount High School.